Examples of the TCP/IP suite are:
- SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol), used for sending electronic mails.
- POP (Post Office Protocol), used for receiving and storing mails.
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol), used for transferring files, both binary and text, between computers over the network.
- HTTP (Hypertext Transport Protocol), used for transmitting files over the World-Wide Web.
- NNTP (Net News Transport Protocol) or UseNet server, used to store news in the UseNet.
- PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol), used for connecting a computer to the Internet via a modem.